Thursday, November 4, 2010

Waiting is the hardest part

Logan's pediatrician referred us to a psychologist who my husband and I met with alone at first. An hour didn't seen long enough . At the end of our session, I asked him what he thought we may be dealing with. He said parents are the best indicators as to what is gong on with a child. A child is going to act differently when in his office. Based solely on what we've told him, it's possibly a bi-polar disorder. I felt an anvil drop on my chest at that moment. But I had to tell myself that this isn't a diagnosis yet. Yet.
Two weeks later we took Logan in to meet with him. He wanted to meet with Logan alone. I was a little apprehensive about this. An hour later Logan came out of the office and the Dr pulled me aside and said he will go over everything with us on our next visit. I had to wait another two weeks!
The next two weeks dragged on and on. The time had come. I was nervous as hell sitting in that office. I just wanted to cut to the chase. The Dr went over the history, all the paperwork we had filled out and some tests he ran. He said that he doesn't feel that it is a bi-polar disorder due to the lack of family history, it's primarily a genetic disorder. Phew! So what then? He said he gave him a computer test that tests specifically for ADHD. He showed me how the program ran and personally, it is so boring I thought maybe I had ADHD. Seriously! According to the test, Logan indeed had ADHD. Okay, then why doesn't the medication seem to be working? If it were ADHD wouldn't the meds work?! The Dr said he also evaluated Logan by talking with him and playing with him. Aaaaand? "It looks like he may have an autistic spectrum disorder, such as Asperger's Syndrome." The anvil suddenly came back. "I want to refer you to the social worker here that specializes in autism. She will be be able to determine if this is Asperger's."
Again with the waiting...


6 comments:

  1. Ahhh...I feel your anxiety. Hoping for the best! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hooked. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to blogging!

    Wow, I can sense your anxiety over waiting. 2 weeks is a long time...heck, when anything regarding your children, 2 minutes is a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The anxiety I feel for you in my chest over waiting must pale in comparison to what you feel.

    Oh do I hope they have answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is more to the story...I'll get around to it :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...