Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Do you remember...part deux

Here is the much anticipated sequel to my previous post Do you remember. Sit down, get comfortable and let the reminiscing begin. This is going to take awhile.



Hair bands. There was Poison, Warrant, Motley Crue, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard,
Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Metallica, Ratt, Slayer, Winger, Slaughter,
White Lion, etc. Still love it!


Mr. Telephone Man...
I love saying Bobby a la crack-head Whitney. "Bob-bay!"

Oh Mickey you're so fine. You're so fine you blow my mind. Hey Mickey!
This song will now be in your head ALL DAY.



Whip it! Whip it good!
Mark Mothersbaugh, the lead singer, is now on Bryn's favorite show.
Yo Gabba Gabba!
And DEVO even performed on it. Cool!




Wham! George Michael and that other guy...


Doesn't seem to be anyone around...
What a coincidence, neither are you.
Oh wait, there was your Emmy winning performance on SyFy's "Mega Piranha". *eye roll*


Rick Springfield
Every girl wanted to be Jessie's girl...er Rick's girl. Song still rocks!


Duran Duran. Simon LeBon *sigh*
I saw them a couple years ago in New Orleans. They were fantastic!

She goes by Deborah now...whatever Debbie.


Culture Club...What the hell does Karma Chameleon mean anyway?


Girls just wanna have fun! She's still got it!


I STILL know all the words to Paul Revere. Licensed to Ill changed my life.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
English Beat, U2, Bon Jovi, Thompson Twins, Spandau Ballet, Flock of Seagulls, Wall of Voodoo, Falco, Oingo Boingo, Blondie, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Queen, Michael Jackson, Prince, Kim Carnes, Nenah Cherry, Wang Chung, The Police, Tears for Fears, Pat Benatar, Yes, Asia, Huey Lewis and the News, Jody Watley, The Escape Club, INXS, Kid 'N Play, Lionel Richie, Men at Work, Eurythmics, Robert Palmer, The Tubes, Samantha Fox, Bow Wow Wow, The Clash, The Bangles, Erasure, etc.



MOVIES

The Legend of Billie Jean. Christian Slater was so cute!



Classic!



Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Directed by Tim Burton. (Did you know that?)
Remember the Alamo!


Bueller? Bueller?
Danka Schoen John Hughes! Danka Schoen...



Parenthood
Love, love, love this movie. And now it's a TV show!
Haven't seen it? Go directly to Netflix and add it to your Queue. GO!


Legend...one of the only movies with Tom Cruise that I like.



It's time for androgyny, it's Labyrinth with David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly.
Weird movie, but it has muppets. Muppets = awesome.



Keep them out of light, especially sunlight.
Don't ever get them wet. Keep them away from water.
But the most important thing, the thing you must never forget....
no matter how much they cry, no matter how much they beg,
never, never feed them after midnight!


Raise your hand if:
You wanted to be a Goonie.
You could do the Truffle Shuffle.
Sang She Bop.


Don't cross the streams!
And thus began my love for all things Bill Murray.
(The cartoon was lame.)

E.T.
The first movie my grandma took me to see.



"Frances. That's a real grown up name."
You thought I was going to quote "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." didn't you? Well I'm not.

R.I.P. Patrick Swayze
and Jennifer Grey's nose...and career


ANYTHING with the two Coreys.
Dream a Little Dream
License to Drive
Lost Boys
R.I.P. Corey Haim
and Corey Feldman's career...

John Cusack again? Yes! I'll be honest with you. I love his movies. I do.
I'm a John Cusack fan. I celebrate his entire collection.

Also, One Crazy Summer
16 Candles

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Anything by John Hughes, Back to School, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Fame, Batman, Willow, Weird Science, Uncle Buck, Tootise, The Toy, A Christmas Story, Teen Wolf, Back to the Future, Tron, Risky Business, Lucas, Poltergeist, The Outsiders, Mannequin, Lethal Weapon, The Golden Child, For Keeps, Big, Look Who's Talking, Three Men and a Baby, Beautiful Girls, Clash of the Titans, Beverly Hills Cop, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Flashdance, Footloose, Back to School, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Can't Buy Me Love, Crocodile Dundee, Purple Rain, Weekend at Bernie's, Desperately Seeking Susan, Clue, St. Elmo's Fire, Short Circuit, Summer School, etc.


TV SHOWS

Square Pegs.
Perhaps I stumbled upon this gem of a show too late because it was gone too soon.


Who could forget Thelma, Vinton, Buzz, Naomi and Eunice?
I think this was a spin-of of the Carol Burnett Show.


I remember Valerie Harper leaving the show and being replaced by Sandy Duncan and her creepy eye. I only watched it for Jason Bateman anyway.


Johnny Depp...need I say more?


Dance your cares away (clap clap)
worries for another day
let the music play (clap clap)
down at Fraggle Rock.

You're welcome!



We watched The Cosby Show, religiously, every Thursday night as a family.
I wanted to dress like Denise Huxtable.
I wish sitcoms were like this today.



I heard a rumor that Pee Wee's Playhouse was returning.
Don't know if that's true or not but I would totally watch it!


Punky Power!



A Mickey Mouse Club knockoff. That's Fergie in the middle...she sucked back then too.




Alex P. Keaton for President!


Whoa!

ALF Facts:
Real name is Gordon Shumway
From the planet Melmac
Likes cats...for dinner


Saturday Morning Cartoons were the BEST in the 80's:


Go, go Gadget (insert thing here)!



The Snorks. Kinda like underwater Smurfs.



The Get Along Gang and Shirt Tales...both favs of mine.



"By the power of Grayskull...I have the POWER!"



Snarf. Snarf.


80's Game Shows

I'll be back in 2 and 2. No Whammys, no Whammys. STOP! Physical Challenge!

HONORABLE MENTIONS: 227, Alice, Diff'rent Strokes, The Facts of Life, The A-team, Mr. Belvedere, Perfect Strangers, Bosom Buddies, The Carol Burnett Show, SolidGold, Dance Party USA, Bob Newhart Show, Cheers, The Wonder Years, The Golden Girls, The Dukes of Hazard, Magnum P.I., Three's Company, Who's the Boss, Growing Pains, Charles in Charge, Airwolf, Simon and Simon, Nightcourt, Dallas, Falcon Crest, Remington Steele, Fantasy Island, The Love Boat, Eight is Enough, Greatest American Hero, Knight Rider, Cagney and Lacey, Moonlighting, Scrabble, Muppet Babies, TMNT, Foofur, Garfield, Heathcliff, Hillstreet Blues, Designing Women, Doogie Howser, M.D., CHiPS, My Two Dads, Life Goes On, Saved By the Bell, Miami Vice, etc.



RANDOM

This was a genius ad from Wendy's.


Tasted. Like. Crap.


Has anyone tried this recipe?

Yes kids, it was a book first.


This is my kinda poetry!
Also, "A Light in the Attic".

TOYS



Scratch 'N Sniff stickers! I had a sticker book and these were by far my favorite.
Fuzzy animal stickers were a close second.


Garbage Pail Kids were awesome!
Find your name here.
Mine is Spewin' Shannon.


I pitty the fool who didn't have Shrinky Dinks!

Sweet Secrets. I didn't have them but my friends did.
I don't even know what the heck they are. I just remember them.


The Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine.
Not really a good toy for kids because of the blades.
I bought a new one several years ago.
Go ahead and bust your Snoopy Sno-Cone machine
out at your next party. Great for Margarits!

Please tell me someone remembers this? I had a pencil case with Poochie on it.
I think it was also a cartoon.

I wanted one so bad one year for Christmas and they were sold out so my mom made me one. I will admit I was pretty disappointed with my "generic Pound Puppy" but I came to love it. So much so that I slept with it every night. Still have him!



Monchichi. Monchichi. Oh so soft and cud-d-ly!


My cousins had them. Ugly.


I loved my Little Professor!







Colorforms! I had these two, Holly Hobbie and Raggedy Ann. I believe I also had Miss Piggy.



Glo-worm, really hasn't changed since then!



I really, really wanted one! I could have been a famous fashion designer. I blame my parents.



Dolly Pops. Didn't have these either. I would always go to this one girl's house to play and she had them. She also had the Fashion Plates. But I had a pool!



Charmkins. Cute.


I loved Care Bears. I had the stuffed animals and the little action figures with the Cloud Mobile.
I liked the one with the rainy cloud on him. Whatever his name was.



My grandma fought tooth and nail for two Cabbage Patch kids for me and my cousin. Mine was a ginger named Winola Denna, which I renamed Libby. She was later joined by a preemie sister Mimi, and two brothers Pete and Woody. Oh and a Koosa!


HONORABLE MENTIONS: Pillow people, He-Man, My Buddy, See n Say, Hugga Bunch, Sit n Spin, Slinky, Trivial Pursuit, My Pet Monster, Strawberry Shortcake, Smurfs, Light Brite, Barbie, Atari, Little People, Transformers, Voltron, Micro Machines, etc.


FASHION TRENDS


Skidz. I had a red/orange/yellow/black plaid pair that I rolled up and wore with my Tretorns. Jealous?
Oh I got them at Merry Go Round.

Liz Claiborne perfume. A must have for all middle school girls.


Dressing like Madonna or Pat Benatar...they are interchangeable.



T-shirt clips. Tying it in a knot is so like, lame.


Hypercolor t-shirts = grody sweat marks.



Side pony tails. Making a comeback.

Slap bracelets and...



Jelly bracelets. Some even had glitter in them! The more, the merrier.



These were some of my favorites. I don't remember where we bought these, but I loved collecting all the charms and even trading them with friends.




Hair crimpers. One of the many hair tragedies of the 80's.



I confess, I still have one...In case I ever go to an 80's party.


Acid wash jeans, pleated, pegged with a matching jacket...
an unfortunate denim trend to which I was a part of.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Parachute pants, Buggle Boy, Z. Cavaricci, Eastlands, duck shoes, Jordache, Esprit, stirrup pants, spandex, moon boots, scrunchies, anything neon, shoulder pads, mall bangs, friendship bracelets, high tops, etc.

I hope you enjoyed this little jog down memory lane and I'm sure I forgot a few things. Please add them in your comments!
Maybe I'll do a 90's post...now go make a mixed tape!


6 comments:

  1. This is quite possibly one of the most fun posts I've ever read.
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had fashion plates! Great post. Ky from Two Pretzels sent me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you my sister? Did we grow up in the same house?

    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAZING POST! I think my laugh got louder as the posts went on.

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .. Hi! I'm Jessica one of your newest followers!! I have to say that even though I was born in 1985, I totally remember all these things!!!! One of the best blog posts I've read, you brought back so many memories!!!! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon, thanks for the follow up!! I'm just now checking it and it's pretty f'ing amazing! You definitely had some toys I wanted and I had the dollypops & fashion plates. Today I am not a fashionista, so you didn't miss anything. I totally forgot about those charms!! Where on earth did mine go? I don't remember where we bought those either.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...