Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Do you remember?

Over the weekend I celebrated yet another birthday. I can't believe that I am as old as I am. I definitely don't feel my age. Chad and I were having a laugh remembering things we had/did when we were younger, a lot younger!
I remember: a time when McDonald's Chicken McNuggets came in a Styrofoam container, we drank TAB, my cousins and I spent the night at my grandparent's house and would sleep on the floor in front of the door (which was unlocked), riding my bike all day long and not getting tired, evening television programs that contained NO bad language, Sunday dinners with my family, and not having a care in the world! I loved being a kid...especially in the 80's!



TV & MOVIES


When I was a toddler I loved Sesame Street, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and The Electric Company. "Heeyy yoouu guys!" I would sit in my little rocking chair and wouldn't move. Life was good.



Who remembers Pinwheel on Nickelodeon?


How about now? Orelia and Ebeneezer?





Admiral bird?

Or these guys? This was when Nickelodeon was first on. It was similar to Sesame Street with puppets, people and little cartoons and I watched it every day!



I always wanted to get slimmed! You Can't Do That On Television was one of my favorite shows.


Alasdair and Christine "Moose"
I loved Alasdair. Remember the lockers and the bad jokes?



I would have taken a ride on Ricky Schroder's train any day!



This may be a stretch but does anybody remember the show Out Of This World? The main character, Evie, was an alien. That is about all I remember. I would watch anything I swear.




Vicki the "robot" girl was annoying as hell with her stupid voice, yet I loved it.



The Muppet Show was a show that my mom and I watched together and we both loved it! It was the best show EVAH!
I have since bought the DVDs for my kids.





Rainbow Brite. I watched the cartoon and had the dolls. (Thanks to Joel McHale for bringing this back!) I remember that at one point Taco Bell had the Sprites (like Twink) for $5 or something. I went there until I collected them all. Which also reminds me of Hugga Bunch. Taco Bell had those too.



Jem is truly, truly, truly outrageous!


I have a couple real memories of going to the movies when I was a kid. One being my dad taking me to see A Christmas Story and the other my mom taking me to the drive in to see The Neverending Story. I was mesmerized.


I loved Atreyu. Loved! I saw an E! show the other day about child stars...Where Are They Now. Atreyu is now a tattoo artist in LA.



Ahh, The Dark Crystal! Jim Henson's Gelflings and Skexies. I knew someone that looked like a Skexie, no lie. I had the Disney Channel when I was a kid, when it first came out. This came on and my grandma thought it was too scary for me. I had to argue with her that it was PG AND on the Disney Channel in order to watch it. Of course I own the DVD now.

Honorable mentions: Goonies, Family Ties, Who's The Boss, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Blossom (Whoa!), Fraggle Rock, The Karate Kid, Thundercats, Star Wars, Labyrinth, Legend, Alf, Charles in Charge, Mr. Belvedere, Inspector Gadget, Perfect Strangers, The Cosby Show, E.T., Punky Brewster, ANYTHING by John Hughes.


BOOKS


Lori (t.w.i.t.) and I were talking about this a week or so ago. We both wanted the Sweet Pickles bus to come to our house and deliver the books. Lori's books, nor mine, were NOT delivered by the Sweet Pickles bus. I repeat NOT delivered by the Sweet Pickles bus. Lori is in therapy now. Seriously, she cannot let go. DAMN YOU SWEET PICKLES!


Judy Blume books!

Ramona and her big sister Beezus. PBS even had a show. I think it came on around Degrassi Jr. High. Remember Wheels? HA!



If you were a prepubescent girl, you read this. This was a GUIDE to becoming a woman. Frankly, it terrified me.


Sweet Valley Twins. I read all of them! I always thought it would be fun to have a twin sister and decided that since I myself didn't have a twin, I would have to have twin girls. Never got into Sweet Valley High.

Honorable mentions: How To Eat Fried Worms, The Chocolate War, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, Amelia Bedelia, Blubber, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Where the Sidewalk Ends (or anything Shel Silverstein).


TOYS

Popples were sooo cute!

The Family Tree House. They still make this!




Fisher Price My Friends Doll
"Jenny"
There was also a blonde, "Mandy". I remember getting this doll for one of my birthdays. Me and Jenny was like peas and carrots!
I still have her, only now she is sporting a hair style a la Kate Gosselin.


Tomy Kimberly Doll
I still have her too!


I wish I still had this. It is worth quite a bit. The Familiar Places McDonald's from Playskool. It's hip to be square!



Pretty Cut & Grow
Finally, a doll in which you could cut the hair! I believe I got her from my dad and I cut ALL of her yellow yarn hair. All of it!



Skipper
This was my favorite Skipper. Sun Lovin' Malibu Skipper. She has tan lines!



Sea Wees
I loved these! I had so many and they came with little babies. I played with them in the tub and in the pool.






Strawberry Shortcake
I had (have actually) 'em all! Apple Dumplin, Raspberry Torte, Blueberry Muffin, Angel Cake, Huckleberry Pie, Crepes Suzette...all of 'em! I was known round the hood for my extensive SS collection!


Feelin' Smurfy my friend?


How many cereal boxes did you go through to get a Wacky Wall Walker in every color?


Honorable mentions: Star Wars figures, Colorforms, Cabbage Patch Kids, Garbage Pail Kids cards, Masters of the Universe, Fashion Plates, Hugga Bunch, My Buddy, My Little Pony, GI Joe, Transformers, Snoopy Snow Cone Machine, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Gobots, Puffalumps, Pound Puppy, Teddy Ruxpin, Pillow People, Glo Worm, Micro Machines, Care Bears. Rainbow Brite, Rubix's Cube, Fisher Price Little People.


TRENDS

My first watch. I received this watch from my mom on my 6th birthday. I remember it well. This watch perhaps started my love for Peanuts. Oh and yes, I still have it!!


Raise your hand if you wore Camp Beverly Hills? Or maybe Luv's Baby Soft, Designer Impostor Perfume Sprays or Liz Claiborne?



Friendship bracelets. I would stay up late painstainkingly making these for all of my friends. I had to have every different color of embroidery floss and wore at least ten on each arm.


Friendship pins. Mine were the prettiest!


Anybody who was anybody would rock Benetton

and

and anything from The Limited. Like Forenza or Outback Red (with the tag on the back).


I was in the 6th grade when I got my Swatch. I only had one because I loved the one I had. Didn't like the Pop Swatch. I also had several of the rubber guards. (yep still have it)


Oversized shaker knit sweaters. So awesome. NOT!


Be it Jordache, Guess, Bongo, Z Cavaricci or Sergio Valente...you had to have the coolest pair. Bleached, acid washed, stonewashed, button fly, side zipper leg, french rolled etc.



Jellies! I also had the jelly bracelets and rings!



Cool tennis shoes. I had a pair of Roos, I kept my lunch money in the pocket :)
There were also L.A. Gear, K Swiss and Reebok. I had the Reebok white high tops, of course I wore two pair of scrunchy socks with them! Also had Eastland's with the twisty laces.


Honorable mentions: banana clips, big bows, flourescent colors, stirrup pants, spandex, jams, big hair, mullets, side pony tails, moccasins, Polo shirts with the collar up, slap bracelets, Hypercolor t shits, parrachute pants, painter pants, Liz Claiborne purses.


I didn't include any 80's music. That would be a separate blog post! Ok, now it's your turn. Tell me what you remember when you were a kid.

23 comments:

  1. he rubix cube is very hard puzzle to solve. The first time a manage to solve it currectly was only after two weeks.
    How To Solve A Rubix Cube

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, happy birthday.

    Second, I almost DIED when I saw Sea Wees!!!!! I loved those and my sisters and I had a ton of them. How obscure.

    Amazing post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still reminiscing....remember the blue sponge flower thing they came in?

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now i feel old. thanks a lot. :) haha.

    we still have the original family treehouse @ my mom's -- my girls play w/ it.

    i had that mcdonald's play set @ my grandma's in FLA. i loved that toy!!!

    'are you there god, it's me margaret'..was a terrifying book.

    this was a great post! thanks for sharing it w/ us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I have a lot of love for many things on this list!

    The Wacky Wall Walkers made me smile real big. I loved those things!

    I totally remember "Out of this World"! I thought that girl had great hair.

    Making friendship bracelets and wearing multiple of them were a must. And you couldn't ever take them off. Remember how bad they used to smell? Because you would shower, play sports, swim, and do who knows what with them on.

    My very first watch was a Dr. Seuss watch that was very similar to yours. His hands were cris-crossed and the band was red.

    Ugh, love it all!

    So what will kids today have to look back on? I'm just curious, I really can't think of anything but perhaps that's because I'm out of touch with kid things?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought of a couple more things:
    I think the show was Valerie (Harper) with Jason Bateman...this is where we fell in love ;)
    Monchichis, Hungry Hungry Hippos (how could I forget that?), Summer School (love that movie)!

    Watched Labyrinth with the boys last night. Didn't realize that David Bowie's crotch was in every scene...ew! WHY MEN SHOULD NEVER, EVER WEAR TIGHTS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to vote this your BEST POST EVER in the HISTORY of posts!

    It's so fantastic. I think Im ay read it again.

    I hope you had a truly fantastic birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks!! This was a lot of fun to post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still get Pinwheel songs stuck in my head.

    Athena has that McDonald's set at my mom's. We play with it all the time.

    I would totally wear those Roos still.

    The 80's feel like home to me. I get this warm and fuzzy feeling thinking about that time period. It's just like the old family house, but you can't go back and visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How could I not see this post until now?!?! I LOVE it!

    I adored Rainbow Brite, I had the doll and just LOVED IT!!

    I also loved to watch JEM and even had the doll AND the stage...jealous :)

    There will always be a special place in my heart for The Neverending Story...best movie I watched as a child.

    I thought Popples where awesome, but all I had was a mini one - LAME.

    i heart all things 80's

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know "The Electic Company" is back on PBS...it's fun to share it with my kids now even though it's updated for their generation...

    Thanks for taking me down memory lane....gosh, I loved the 80's! I don't think our kids will have quite the experience and memories that we did. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The best things about the 80's were the cartoons, movies and toys. Thank you so much for this walk down memory lane. I found you blog because I was searching for the perfect Rainbow Brite picture for a cupcake post on my blog this morning. I'll be sure to link you!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love this post!

    I had the original Family Tree House AND the Mountain house or whatever it was called. You mentioned that they still make this toy. Do you know where or who the maker is? I still have a couple of the people but they don't have the company name on them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa here is the link for the Treehouse http://www.kleinegiraf.nl/en/category/klorofil-tree/product/klorofil-magicland/image/1

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!

    I stumbled on this blog post looking for a picture of the "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret?" that I remembered as a kid for my own blog.

    What a walk through my childhood. I was a little disappointed there were no GlowWorms or Pillow People in the toys though - those were my two most coveted toys, and I never got either one. :( LOL.

    Thanks for sharing that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great post! And I'm finding it almost a year after you posted. I was searching for a pic of the Kimberly doll I LOVED so much. Will you do a follow up with more?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Peanut...okay I'll do it! Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a tough one - pound puppies, remember the line of radios/alarm clocks that were pastel? Easy Bake oven...I had some kind of tiny doll that lived in a giant ice cream cone, but I have no idea what that was called. I'll brainstorm and get back to you. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh talk about going down memory lane! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok, check out my new post! 80's part two!

    ReplyDelete
  21. "like totally rad post!"
    I came across it looking for pics for my office Halloween theme "I love the 80's!
    Going to read part 2 now!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...