Sunday, September 27, 2009

Are you smarter than a 4th grader?

Hayden's favorite subjects in school are math and science. I love that he loves math. I think that math can be intimidating to some kids. I always check his homework before he takes it back to school and I am amazed at some of the word problems he gets. I for one hated word problems as a kid, still do. This one in particular puzzled me:


On a game board, landing on blue means to move ahead 1 space, landing on red means to move ahead 2 spaces, and landing on orange means to move back 1 space. If you took 30 spins, about where would you expect to be on the game board, relative to where you started?

I'll be honest, this took some thought but I finally came up with the answer. Are you smarter than a 4th grader? (answer in comments)

9 comments:

  1. Answer: I would be about 20 spaces ahead.
    It's really very easy once you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I know its right because he got his homework back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that made my brain hurt. i am horrible at math and even worse w/ word math problems. i have a mental block when it comes to math...always have. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! I've got some studying to do if my kids expect help with their homework...

    I'll be a whiz at the spelling tests however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 20 spaces ahead

    1/3 blue, 1/3 red, 1/3 orange. Out 30 spins, 1/3 of 30 spins = 10 times each color. 10 times landing on blue = 10 space forward, 10 times landing on red = 20 space forward. 10 times landing on orange = 10 space backward. 10 forward plus 20 forward = 30 space forward minus 10 backward = 20 spaces

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not smarter than a 4th grader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got this, but I am addicted to any kind of logic/word/math problem. However, if it is not a word type math problem I totally SUCK ass at math. That is why I am happy my sister is a math major, we will be sending our little ones over to Aunt K for nearly all math related homework ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like being back at school yack!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's like being back at school :(

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...