Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Uh...Houston, we have a problem.

I was reading Babytalk Magazine and stumbled across a disturbing article. Disturbing because it might apply to me. The article was about spending time on the computer vs. spending time with your children.
Here it is:

ARE YOU AT RISK?
If you're worried about how much time you spend online, ask yourself the questions below. If you answer yes to three or more, you might want to try to cut back or seek help. Go to the website of the Center for Internet Addiction Recovery-Netaddiction.com-for more details.



  • Do you check e-mail before doing other important tasks, like playing with or caring for the baby? (Does my BlackBerry count?)
  • Are you constantly forming new relationships online? no, well unless you are talking about new followers to Twitter, or Facebook friends
  • Are you less productive at work or neglecting household tasks? NO!
  • Do you often stay online longer than you intended? maybe
  • Are you losing sleep due to staying online late at night? me? loose sleep...never!
  • Do you crave computer time when you aren't logged on? No, I crave ice cream, raisinets, and quiet time
  • Do you choose to go online instead of spending time with your partner? hmmm...no, kidding, my kids definitely NO!
I added a couple more:

  • Do you lay in bed at night and plan your next blog post? sometimes
  • Do you think of something funny and say "I need to Tweet that!"? guilty

3 comments:

  1. for the record, i am not a terrible parent. i try to only get on the computer when the kids are in school or sleeping...it is impossible to sit on the computer with my kids here/awake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh...If your additions were in the mag, I would be guilty! I'm only online when my daughter naps or is pretending to be a 17 year old that doesn't need her mama, but sometimes it feels like I'm on way longer than I should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to say...

    Hold on a second.

    Rhys, put those knives down! When I finish reading my blogs, I'm going to come over there and...

    Anyway, as I was saying. What was I saying?

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...