Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I have a raging case of...

Pink eye, aka Viral Conjunctivitis. If you have never had it, count yourself lucky. Let me break it down like this, because I love analogies: Picture yourself at the ocean. You are swimming under water with your eyes open for an extended period of time. You get out, dry off and decide to lay in the sun, with your eyes open. Then a big wind sweeps through and blows sand into your open eyes. Yeah, that's pretty close.
I called the doctor yesterday and they made me an appointment for the afternoon. I proceeded to explain my symptoms and I was interrupted with.
Nurse: Darlin', you don't need to come in, we will call a prescription in for you. You have pink eye and you are highly contagious.
Me: I have to go to work.
Nurse: Sugar, you ARE NOT going to work.
Me: When will I be able to return to work.
Nurse: Once ALL the symptoms are gone.
Me: Oh...

Well, I would hardly call this a vacation. I was off Monday and Tuesday anyway, but I may not be able to go in Wednesday either. I work directly with patients and I rely on my eyes for my job. So I am quarantined. I am trying to be extra careful so I don't infect everyone else. Every time I touch my face I must wash my hands. Do you realize how much you actually touch your face? Not only that but I have been walking around cleaning everything I touch, (Here is a shameless product plug.), by using Clorox Greenworks Natural Biodegradable Cleaning Wipes.
I was given these eye drops that burn and put a constant bad taste in my mouth which makes my food taste funny. I couldn't even enjoy my Cheetos! Chad is constantly making fun of me. Singing stupid songs..."In your eyes, the whites are red, your eyes..." (Peter Gabriel), texting me "Your eyes look like shit!", making remarks "How do I adjust the red eye?"and not looking me in the eyes because "it hurts his eyes". The bright side is, I get the bed all to myself!
Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go motorboat Chad's pillow!


2 comments:

  1. well, there's no other way to put this other than:

    that totally sucks. i hope your eyes get better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you got the stink eye.

    P.S. I had to laugh at "I rely on my eyes for my job." Cause, you know, most people don't. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...