Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I could eat mac 'n cheese every day

I feel compelled to tell you that I love mac 'n cheese. Which is strange because growing up I hated it and all things cheese. Taste buds change I guess. I love homemade mac 'n cheese, not that crap in the "blue box" which my kids devour. Here is a yummy recipe from my mommy:


~1 pkg (7 oz.) elbow macaroni

~6 tbs butter (divided)

~3 tbs flour

~2 cups milk

~1 pkg (8 oz.) cream cheese (cubed)

~2 cups (8 oz>) shredded cheddar cheese

~2 tsp spicey brown mustard

~1/2 tsp salt

~1/4 tsp pepper

~3/4 cup dry bread crumbs

~2 tbs minced parsley

Cook macaroni. Melt 4 tbs butter in large sauce pan. Stir in flour till smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce hear and ass cheeses, mustard and S&P. Stir until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Drain macaroni and add to cheese mixture and stir to coat. Transfer to a greased, shallow baking dish. Melt the remaining butter, toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. (The more golden brown the better! Yum :p)

3 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic! I'm bookmarking it to make it someday (soon)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the "reduce hear and ass cheeses" instruction in this recipe.

    I love ass cheese :)

    Ew, no I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mickey D, you would love my mac and frumunda cheese recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...