Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Moving!

I have six months to live...in New Orleans. I am deeply saddened to announce that I am moving...to Portsmouth, Virgina (20 minutes from Virginia Beach). My first question: Is Virginia a red state or a blue state? and What the hell is in Virginia? We were hoping to stay here for at least two more years. Chad is currently stationed here in New Orleans and he requested a boat in Gulfport, MS for his next duty station (only 45 minutes away). He didn't get it. We pleaded our case that we already have one house for sale (for a year now) and we can't afford to have two houses on the market. This would be a HUGE financial burden. Apparently they didn't care. I never thought they would transfer us. It costs them money to do so. I just didn't believe it. I was in complete shock, as if someone had ran over my dog. I cried myself to sleep that night. I went through the 5 stages of grief:
Denial- This isn't happening.
Anger- I am NOT going! No F*&%ing way!
Bargaining- Do you think you can talk to someone? Certainly they have made a mistake.
Depression- I couldn't speak of it for a week.
Acceptance- When are we moving?

I didn't tell my parents for a week. I couldn't say the words. My dad was happy because I will be closer to him. My mom, not so much. I will be farther from her.
I know it is a part of the job and seems like no big deal. But it is a big deal. Especially when you have kids. I was glad to move out of Toledo, who wouldn't be. We are happy here and I don't want to leave. I have compiled a list of things that I will miss about living here and the things I will not. Indulge me if you will. In no particular order:

Things I will miss:
My house (it was our house, and only ours...I'm forclempt)
My neighbors Gene and Carolyn (they are the BEST)
Ms. Marissa (she takes care of Bryn, she's a Saint!)
Jill and Ella :( my dear friends
Chris and Debbie (Bryn’s Godparents)
My job (and all my work peeps)
The French Quarter
Maspero’s French Onion soup
Nonna Randazzo’s King Cake (I dare anyone to try and top it!)
The Spirit of New Orleans…it’s just something you have to experience.
The festivals
Mardi Gras
The weather
Endless things to do
Coffee Rani (they have my favorite sandwich)
Café DuMonde (mmm beignets)
Golden Flake Sweet Heat BBQ chips
Shopping
Crawfish boils
The huge live oaks with the Spanish moss

Things I will not miss:
Having to drive a good distance to just about everything
Traffic
My busy street
Mardi Gras (it’s a love/hate thing)
Having to change all our physicians (it took me two years to find good ones here)
Crime (I think we have the highest crime rate in the US)
LSU fans (they are almost as bad as Michigan fans, almost)

I have come to love this place. I am proud to say that I was a part of this great city, if only for four years. We are forever linked with NOLA and we will never forget it. We know the city so well we could give tours...and do to our guests from the North. I have experienced so much here and met some wonderful people and I am thankful for all those things. My daughter was born here, she is my little Southern Belle. My kids were raised here and this is all they know.
I am leaving a piece of my heart here...I may be Northern by birth but I am a Southerner at heart.

7 comments:

  1. wow. that does suck. :(

    um...Virginia was a red state, but turned blue on Nov. 4th. not sure what is in VA...but i hear VA Beach is nice (never been there).

    is there any hope of the powers that be changing their mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband's best friend just got stationed in VA Beach and we're going to be visiting there frequently. We'll get the babies together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tlc- I wish...and I was just teasing about the red state/blue state thing. It was a failed attempt at humor :(
    Ms. Bee- absolutely! I would love Brynnie to meet Athena.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you're sad. Change is hard. But remember how much you dreaded moving to NOLA and how much you hated it at first? You will grow to love VA. And it will be easier for me to come see you. And that's the most important thing, because it's all about me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry this is not exactly what you wanted, but you may be surprised at how much you love it there! That area is really pretty, I have always wanted to live close to the water in either VA or NC....so pretty. And you will have seasons again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, I can add hurricanes to "not miss" list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just remember this....no matter where you go, no matter where you live in this great country of ours, i'll continue to be your up north friend. by reading your blog page and the few emails i get, to me, it's as if you've never left at all.

    change is hard at first but as time goes by, it'll get easier. there will be new neighbors you'll meet and friends you'll make. new places to go, see and do. who knows you may grow to love them just as much as NOLA, if not more. odd thing about the heart, as small as it is, we always have room for more to love. so in a way, it grows several times it's normal size.

    here's hoping you have a smooth, safe and unstressful move to virginia.

    as far as what's in virginia, well when i was a little girl, my mom and dad took me all over this country of ours. one time it was to virgina. we went to virginia beach, had a blast and found my mom's prescrition sunglasses that fell off from the waves. also found a live starfish and a dead one. went to williamsburg and jamestown. got to go on the boats and got my picture taken with a statue of pocahontos herself. my mom and dad were big fans of "the waltons". by asking several locals, they drove to the actual home that the show was filmed at.
    can't begin to tell you what town that was in. finally, we visited the busch gardens amusement park. had a blast there. my favorite thing there was the budweiser clydesdale horses and barn. awesome animals and beautiful in person.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...