Friday, August 8, 2008

My new hobby

I have a love for art. I had an opportunity to go to art and design school on a scholarship but I turned it down. I didn't think there was any money in it. The last time I really painted was when I lived at home in Pickerington. I had a huge drafting table in the basement and I would go down there and paint for hours.
My new hobby is photography. I love taking pictures, especially of my kids. My house is filled with pictures that I have taken myself, (mostly black and white), on my mantle, the walls, shelves, etc. I really enjoy taking pictures of interesting things and places too. I have been taking pictures of New Orleans since we moved here. I love this city. There is so much to do and see. I could spend hours upon hours in the French Quarter taking pictures. My latest project is creating a surname sign with architectural photos. If it turns out well I may make them for family members for Christmas.

Recently we took a trip to the Myrtles Plantation (If you are not familiar with the Myrtles, you must read about it). This place is steeped with mystery and intrigue. It is truly amazing. It was so quiet and serene. I could have sat on the gallery and rocked Bryn all day long. It is so beautiful and peaceful there.

As I was walking around taking photos, I had an eerie feeling that I was being watched. Maybe it was Chloe.


There are statues all over the grounds. This one in particular was haunting. It was almost like she was following me with her eyes.

As you drive up to the house it is almost as if you are going back in time. It is just gorgeous.

One of the owners felt that if she placed cherubs and French crosses around that it would deter evil spirits. The doors are hand painted with French crosses.

This was my favorite picture. I love the iron work on the gallery.

I was drawn to the double dormer in the middle. It was almost as though someone was peeking out of the window at me. The two hundred plus year old oak trees add a bit of creepiness to the photo.

I did take color photos too. But the black and white really add something special. I am planning on returning to take more photos. I love this place. We are actually thinking about staying here for a night. This is my favorite plantation thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts...