Thursday, August 28, 2008

Katrina Part Two: Where will we go?

Sunday August 28, 2005 6:30 am

On the road we were still trying to figure out where we were going. My dad lives near Charlotte, NC and my mom lives outside of St. Louis, MO. Those were the two closest places to go. My dad called us and said that he could accommodate us and the dogs. I don't think my mom could have handled all the chaos, so we decided to go to my dad's. After I got off the phone with him, my uncle Jeff called. He lives in Birmingham, AL. He told us to stop at his house for the night so we weren't driving all day long. We stopped at Burger King for breakfast and then it was off to Birmingham.

We arrived in Birmingham and my aunt and uncle were so glad to see us. They had a pool so my uncle kept the kids busy by taking them swimming. They had so much fun with him. My aunt took me to Kohl's and Wal-Mart to get some clothes and toiletries, because remember I packed light! She bought everything. I started to cry. I couldn't believe how generous she was. She not only bought my kids clothes, pj's and toys, she also bought me clothes and then she handed me a wad of cash. I just hugged her and said thank you. We got back to the house and had pizza for dinner and then put the kids to bed. We sat around and watched FOX News, laughed at Geraldo Rivera and watched as people filed into the Superdome right across from Chad's office. Our phones were ringing like crazy. Everyone was calling. I couldn't believe this was happening!
Everyone finally went to bed. I tried to sleep but I couldn't. I ended up turning the TV back on and watched FOX News as hurricane Katrina made landfall on August 29, 2005.


2 comments:

  1. wow. that's just incredible.

    back to present day: are you guys under any evac orders for Gustav yet? i saw ray nagin on CNN last night talking about possilbe evacuation orders today.

    stay safe!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...