Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Clockwork Orange

Malcolm McDowell as Alex

Heath Ledger as The Joker

I rented this movie on the basis that Heath Ledger modeled his "Joker" character after the main character in A Clockwork Orange. I read that Heath would watch the movie to help get into character. I was intrigued so I had to see what this movie was all about. I knew it was a Stanley Kubrick movie, so I wasn't quite sure what I was in for. (Remember Eyes Wide Shut? Me either.)

This is a bizarre, satirical, political and metaphorical dramedy. The protagonist is Alex, a delinquent young man in future Britain. He and his three droogs (friends) wreak havoc on people until Alex is caught and jailed. He becomes "rehabilitated", by way of psychological torment, and is released to become a productive member of society. But has he truly changed?

If you like British humor and have a taste for strange and unusual, then this is right up your ally. Add it to your Netflix Queue!

A Clockwork Orange was originally a novel by Anthony Burgess. The movie was nominated for four Oscars in 1972, including Best Picture and Best Director.

Oh and I can definitely see how Alex inspired Heath's "Joker"... genius!

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention that there is a scene from Austin Powers that is taken from this movie as well.

    This is now my husband's favorite movie. He has all his Coast Guard buddies renting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie is really hard to follow if you're not in the mood for it. I threw it in the DVD player one day out of boredom and didn't understand it. I watched it again when I was in the mindset for, you know, torture and rape and violence. And I actually loved this movie. Not my favorite, but I love the satirical aspect of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband loves this movie. I on the other hand have seen different parts and it isn't for me. I really want to watch it all the way through, but I am just never in the mood.

    I could see the similarities though!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...