Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My hero

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost."

~Arthur Ashe

This is so true, and so true of my husband. When hurricane Katrina hit us my husband's first priority was getting us out safely. Once we were safe he returned to "do his job" as he put it. Now let me first say that this is his job in U.S. Coast Guard, but it was not mandatory for anyone to come back and go to work. Chad is very selfless, this is one of the many reasons why I love him. He didn't ask me if he could come back or if he should come back, he just came back.


Did anyone catch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition when they were here in NOLA? Chad was invited to be a part of the show as one of the first responders. He declined. He doesn't consider himself a hero, it was his duty. We urged him to do the show but he said he would rather stay home with his new baby and his family (Bryn was two days old). He also said that he would probably "choke Ty Pennington with his megaphone" I think were his exact words.


I can only imagine what he went through. Sleeping (or lack thereof) in the "tent city" they had put together, seeing the suffering, Geraldo Rivera, and the smell (or is that the smell of Geraldo Rivera?). The smell alone he said is burned into his brain. (I will save that story for another day).




This is a picture of him with some of his crew on the levy. He is on the far left standing like Captain Morgan.

2 comments:

  1. your husband if very brave and loyal, and you should be ultra proud of him.
    what a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second TL comments.

    It takes someone very special to do that without a second thought.

    Anyone who knows me knows New Orleans is one of my favorite places ever. I love it there and can't wait till I go back. I love the city, the food, the culture, the music, the people, the spirit...it is all just amazing. Just the spirit of New Orleans and the people who live there is truly inspirational.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...