Friday, April 11, 2008

What's with the title you ask...














Allow me to explain the title of my blog. First off let me start off by saying that I am an extremely organized individual. I was diagnosed with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder when I was 20, before it became a thing of humor, (Monk and Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets). It goes way beyond being a "neat freak". Those that truly have the disease, (it sounds like Hepatitis or something, I prefer disorder), know what I am talking about. People throw around OCD in everyday conversation as if it is normal. Example: "I am so OCD about my closet." Someone may have obsessive or compulsive tendencies without having the actual disorder.





I used to go to a psychiatrist and a therapist. I have tried every anti-depressant and anti-anxiety drug they made. I decided that I did not want my life to be under the influence, nor did I like the side effects. So I read books on OCD and I came to the conclusion that this is something I am going to have to live with so I should live with it and embrace it so to speak. I was going to choose to be in control of the disorder rather than the disorder controlling me. So here I am today living with it and in control.


Anyway back to the point. I am a compulsive list maker (ha ha compulsive, get it?) and so very organized, down to my children's rooms. My boys have bins for every single grouping of toys. There is a Power Ranger bin, a Star Wars bin, a Matchbox car bin, you get the point. I will go ballistic if I find Darth Vader fraternizing with the Blue Ranger. I have post it notes on everything. (I am actually thinking of investing in 3M.) With so many things in my life that I need to control and organize, my brain is constantly running on high octane gas. I am processing too much information at one time, hence disorganized thoughts.

Warning: use caffeine with extreme caution. Side effects include restless leg syndrome, insomnia, talking way too fast, restlessness, and brain aneurysms.

3 comments:

  1. I suffer from a cleaning disorder?? Is there such a thing? y house is never clean enough. I find myself cleaning the kitchen at least 3 times a day. Not to mention my obsession with sweeper lines. I spend so much time cleaning I feel like I am not spending enough quality time with my kids. Here I am a stay at home mom because I don't want someone else raising my kids, but I get so focused on there finger prints on my just dusted end table. Am I crazy or jus CLEAN???

    Welcome to the blog world!!! Sorry I just has to vent a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, welcome!!

    I have always been interested in OCD. Though I have never been to a Doctor for any of my compulsions b/c I don't believe they are bad enough to cause me too much anxiety or interference in my life I always feel for people who have to go through this. Some people laugh about OCD or take it lightly, but it can really hinder some people if you can't find a way to live with it.

    I count things ALOT and make TONS of lists. I count steps, push my alarm clock button a certain # of times, brush teeth a certain amount of times, check things before I leave the house (I actually I have to say things like garage door down 3 times), etc. And if that gets messed up or my rituals get messed up I start over. And some people say, well just don't do it, but I can't - that is when I get anxiety.

    It is all very interesting why certain people have this. My mom has obsessive tendencies and my sister and I have it as well, which makes me wonder (maybe in my case since it isn't OCD) could it just be our environment or how I was brought up or what I saw my mom doing?!?

    Anywho, sorry for ranting, OCD is just very interesting to me and I am always trying to learn new things about it. Any books you suggest let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wrestling kitties-
    I am by no means an expert in the subject but I can relate to several things that you talk about. It is so strange to have other people experience similar things. It makes me feel less "crazy". I appreciate your candor!!
    Also, either of the books I pictured are good. Remember Marc Summers from "Double Dare"??

    Jill Marie-
    You know I struggle with this daily. I always tell myself that it doesn't matter if I have swiffered my kitchen today. What does matter is that I have spent time with my kids. They are going to think that doing chores is more important than them. So I do both, I let them help me clean and it goes faster and they acutally like to help and then I can spend more time with them too. (I also reward them for helping out).

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...