Monday, April 21, 2008

Ringtones

Ringtones are a way cool way to personalize your phone. You can have one song, a song for everyone that calls, and you can even have a ring back tone so when someone calls your phone they can hear a little "while you wait" music. Ringtones can say a lot about you. Have you ever heard someones ringtone and the song didn't seem to fit? For instance, I was in the doctor's office and there was a woman there who obviously didn't read the "Please turn all cell phones off or to vibrate" sign. I was reading the latest Allure and quite enjoying the article about brow tweezing when I heard this obnoxious little diddy:

Fergalicious (so delicious)But I ain't promiscuous.
And if you was suspicious,
All that shit is fictitious.
I blow kisses (mmmwwahhh)
That puts them boys on rock, rock.
And they be lining down the block just to watch what I got

Picture this in your mind, what kind of person do you imagine would have such a ringtone?
When I hear this song I picture a bleach blonde with dark roots, low cut shirt, gold chains, big earrings, and tight booty jeans, oh and a thong showing (the hallmark of white trash, pardon me I am stereotyping). Is that kinda what you thought? Well the woman belonging to this ringtone was actually very well dressed, great shoes, 40 ish, and very professional looking. This says to me she is recently divorced, clinging to her youth, and possibly trying to find the Ashton to her Demi. Now it is possible that she just really likes Fergie, but that scenario just isn't as much fun.

My ringtone was "On Call" by Kings of Leon. I chose this because I thought it was cool that every time my phone rang I heard "I'm on call...". I recently changed it to "Bryn" by Vampire Weekend, because my new daughter is Bryn. I love hearing her name. My husband's ringtone is hilarious. It's "Goodbye Horses" by Q. Lazzarus and Garvey. You might know this better as the song from The Silence of the Lambs, where Jame Gumb, a.k.a. 'Buffalo Bill', is dancing. It was also in Clerks II, Jay, from Jay and Silent Bob fame, re-enacted this scene and it was hilarious. (It's a joke, you would have to know C.)
So tell me, what is your ringtone?

6 comments:

  1. When girlfriends call me, my phone plays the Sex and the City theme. For N. and everyone else, The Office theme song plays.

    I used to have a special (yet, fairly common) ringtone for when I was being called-in to the hospital. To this day, whenever I hear it coming from somebody else's phone, I immediately think "Oh shit. I have to go into work."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring....bbbrrinngg..... That would be mine. I haven't got with this century yet. My cell phine is like 4 years old and has nothing, NOT EVEN A PICTURE PHONE.


    Hey I also am making the mac n cheese recipe tonight. I'll let you know how my batch turns out! Smells real good cooking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "trying to find the Ashton to her Demi" - that is HYSTERICAL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA, I like your scenario much better than the just liking Fergie as well!

    I loves me my ringtones. I use to be really cool and give people ringback tones, but it isn't as fun b/c I can't hear it.

    My ringtones:
    Dad: Baba O'Riley (teenage wasteland song) by The Who
    Mom: The pink Panther theme
    Sister: Blood by My Chemical Romance
    Husband: Starlight by Muse
    Undesignated: I'm Yours by Jason Mraz (don't know where to put it yet)
    For a couple girlfriends: Sex and the City Theme
    General ringer - Fiesta by Ween

    Yes, I am a bit addicted to ringtones!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...