Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Renaissance woman

I just recently, 6 weeks ago, had my third baby. I am not "one of those" who was able to put on her pre-baby jeans the day she left the hospital. (This by the way is not a realistic goal for most of us.) I have lost over half the weight but there is still some lingering. Theoretically I could wear my jeans, top of the muffin to ya! (A nod to Seinfeld.) Yeah, not cute, at all! I know that realistically I do not look bad just because I need a size bigger. What is with this size thing anyway. It's just a number, as is my age and shoe size. However there is this stigma in our society that says if you aren't a size 2, well you had better go on a diet. Magazines and Hollywood constantly shove this down your throat. Remember when Jennifer Love Hewitt wore a bikini? Come on now, really? Well if she's fat then I must be a beast. There are commercials for Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, and Nutri-System on all the time. Let's face it we live in an indulgent society. Not only do we indulge on food, but also clothes, electronics, cars, houses...I could go on and on. We've got to keep up with the Kardashians...uh I mean Joneses. There is always someone skinnier, prettier, smarter or richer. Get over it.

I digress...I have always loved the painting Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli. What a babe huh? This was the ideal beauty during the Renaissance. Fair skin, long flowing wavy or curly hair, and a voluptuous body. I would have been a hottie!


Now if you will excuse me, I need to go get some baby formula and toilet paper. So I am off to Tar-jay where I will spend more than I intended to on stuff I don't need, such as another lip gloss and the latest In-Style and Us Weekly. Then its off to Starbucks for a grande caramel Frappachino. I will then feel guilty and hit the elliptical for 45 minutes only to work off 1/3 of the Frappachino.

2 comments:

  1. Ummm...yeah. I hate the stage where you can fit in your pants; yet you look like you stuffed yourself into them.

    Last spring after I had Carly I was wearing a pair of cotton capris that I was excited I could get on and...I went to bounce her (I use a big exercise ball to bounce my kids to bed) I heard a nice RIP. My not so small ass busted through my pants. Reality check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post!

    it's all so true...

    and, your trip to Tar-jay and starbucks sound oddly familiar!

    welcome to the blogsphere! and congrats on the baby!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...